Policy & Procedure Update
Grant Review Meeting May 23, 2017 9:00 am
The Bend Cultural Tourism Commission is pleased to announce they will review grant applications for the 2017 grant cycle. Commissioners will review the applications, and then convene for panel deliberation in a public meeting, scheduled for May 23, 2017 beginning at 9:00 am. The order of the day will include Commission business, with application review beginning at 9:30. Applicants may be asked clarifying questions regarding the application during this meeting, but will not make presentations. We expect to adjourn no later than 4:00 p.m. The Commission expects to award about $200,000 in 2017. The meeting will be held at: The Environmental Center, Audubon Room, 16 NW Kansas
The Bend Cultural Tourism Commission is proposing two minor changes to its Policies and Procedures, and will take any comments until May 19, 2017. The Commission will adopt the procedures, after discussion, at its May 23, 2017 public meeting.
The draft Policies & Procedures can be viewed here.
The Commission is proposing that the Visit Bend board member appointed to the Commission be a nonvoting position. Because Visit Bend provides all funds for the Commission and its grants, the recommendation is to have this position be the conduit between the Commission and Visit Bend board, without giving any perceived added weight to the vote of the Visit Bend board member.
The Commission is also updating its policies to reflect the decision made last year, to include up to three external reviewers for the grant review discussion. These reviewers will read, review and comment but not make grant funding recommendations.
Next Grant Deadline: April 14, 2017, 5:00 pm
IMPORTANT NOTE: The Bend Cultural Tourism Commission will be using a new online grant program for the next cycle. The new platform will be launched February 15, 2017.
- Attract incremental tourists to Bend during the shoulder seasons and winter months
- Diversify Bend’s tourism offerings
- Enrich and cultivate Bend’s arts and cultural assets
- Establish Bend as a premier cultural tourism destination
- Enhance Bend’s quality of life
- Increase Bend’s appeal to attract new long-term investment into the community
Grants may support:
- Programs designed to generate incremental tourism activity in the city of Bend during the shoulder seasons and winter months
- Target marketing for arts and cultural activities designed to attract visitors from outside a 50 mile radius of the city of Bend
- The development of packages or special promotions for arts or cultural tourism activities
- The development of new uses of media and technology for arts and cultural activities
- Research projects related to existing or potential cultural tourism programs with the intent of increasing cultural tourism activity in the City of Bend
- Other forms of tourism promotion that adhere to ORS.320.35.
BEND CULTURAL TOURISM COMMISSION OFFERS NEW GRANT CATEGORY
At its September meeting, the Bend Cultural Tourism Commission approved the launch of the Catalyst Grant, intended to support the bold ideas that aren’t yet fully developed, but can demonstrate extraordinary potential for increasing Bend’s off-season “cultural tourists”. The grant will provide successful applicants with funding to propel the development of an event or activity that will support the local economy and cultural organizations.
The Commission is proposing no more than 25% of available grant funds for this category in the first year. The current Marketing and Program grant guidelines for support will continue, and applicants may apply in both categories (no more than one in each).
The guidelines for the Catalyst Grant are available here.
The application will be completed on a new online grant program, available after February 15, 2017.
Minor revisions have been made to the Marketing and Project grants. The guidelines are available here.
Email: Shannon@PlanchonConsulting.com or call 503.467.8599.