How to do a snow dance in Bend without looking like a total dork
My headline might be misleading, so make no mistake about it—you’re going to look like a total dork.
But with tons of snow scheduled to hit Mt.Bachelor in the coming days, it’s crucial we all do our part to ensure the mountains surrounding Bend have plenty of fluffy white stuff this season.
At some point during your Bend vacation, you must do a snow dance. You’re welcome to dredge the depths of your creativity to make up your own, or consider using one of the following options.
The sugar snow dance
- Stroll through Downtown Bend en route to Thump Coffee. Pause along the way to admire the Tin Pan Alley Art Collection scattered throughout public areas, including the parking garage, Gasoline Alley, and Tin Pan Alley.
- Enter Thump Coffee and order the tasty beverage of your choice (I recommend Blue People Oolong for tea drinkers and the Violet Beaurgard—that’s a salted blueberry mocha—for coffee fans). Don’t forget the muffin.
- Carry your drink to the condiment station at the rear of the shop and take a firm hold of the sugar dispenser.
- Pour one tablespoon of sugar directly into your palm, toss it up in the air, open your mouth to catch the flakes on your tongue, and sing the following song to the tune of “Row, Row, Row Your Boat:”
Snow, snow in my mouth
My face, my hair and ears
Mother Nature, send us more
I’ll buy you seven beers
- Apologize to the barista and request a broom so you can clean up your mess.
- Hold good on your promise by embarking on a journey along the Bend Ale Trail, where you will visit all 12 breweries collecting passport stamps, earning prizes, and lifting at least seven of your favorite craft brew selections in a toast to Mother Nature.
The doggie snow dance
- Head up to Mt.Bachelor and schedule a sled dog ride with Oregon Trail of Dreams.
- Go out and greet your sled dog team, making sure to congratulate them on the fact that Bend was named the nation’s dog-friendliest city by Dog Fancy magazine.
- When the dogs begin howling, barking, and lunging with excitement (either because of the article or the upcoming journey) join in with your own giddy display of jumping and yipping, followed by a chorus of the following melody sung to the tune of Elvis Presley’s “Hound Dog:”
You ain’t nothin’ but a snow dog
Runnin’ in the pow
You’re a very lucky snow dog
More snow is comin’ now
Yeah, your tail will be a waggin’
You can have Dawg Grog and chow
- After you enjoy your exciting sled dog ride, return to Bend and procure several bottles of Dawg Grog beer for dogs. Take it to your sled dog pals, along with a copy of the recent article in Costco Connection touting this amazing made-in-Bend brew.
The snowshoe snow dance
- Book a snowshoe outing with Wanderlust Tours. The night owls among you will want to check out the Moonlight & Starlight Snowshoe Tours, while those who prefer daylight will be most comfortable boogying down on one of their daily snowshoe adventures.
- While your naturalist guide drives you up the mountain sharing information about the geology and history of the area, take the opportunity to do some sharing of your own by teaching your snow dance lyrics to others on the tour.
- Enjoy your snowshoe adventure to the fullest, soaking up plenty of fresh air, gorgeous scenery, and fascinating knowledge from your naturalist guide.
- During the segment of the tour when your guide offers warm beverages to the group, extract one marshmallow from your cocoa, toss it into the air as an offering to the snow gods, and turn slowly in a circle as you sing to the tune of “My Favorite Things:”
Steep chutes and tree lines and wide open spaces
Running and jumping puts smiles on our faces
Grins from the kids make us just want to sing
These are a few of our favorite things!
- Encourage your fellow snowshoe enthusiasts to craft lyrics of their own, offering up the requisite marshmallow sacrifice with each new stanza. In accordance with Wanderlust’s commitment to leaving no trace, remember to pick up any marshmallows that go unclaimed by the snow gods.
- Return to Bend and hop on the Mt.Bachelor website to check out their upcoming promotions, including Kids Ski Free, Ski or Ride in 5 and their new #MtBachelorStoked contest where they’re giving away $15,000 in cash and prizes.
Got a snow dance of your own? We’d love to see it! Shoot an Instagram video and tag us at @visitbend, or post your video to YouTube and share it with us on the Visit Bend Facebook page.
We’ll choose a winner on Thursday, January 23 to receive two free Fat Bike rentals from fabulous Downtown Bend shop The Hub Cyclery—perfect for enjoying all that new snow!