Beard Team USA is teaming up with Visit Bend to bring the inaugural National Beard and Mustache Championships to Bend Oregon. On Saturday June 5th, $1,000 will be awarded to the best of show in each of the following categories:
1. Best moustache. Beards are allowed in this category but the contestants will be judged on their moustaches only.
2. Best partial beard. Includes goatees, van dykes, sideburns, musketeers, etc.
3. Best full beard. Styling aids are permitted.
4. Freestyle. Anything goes. Anything. Be creative.
5. A randomly selected contestant. All you have to do to qualify is sign-up.
Beard wearing, beer loving, folks from across the country will gather along side local contestants in the Les Schwab Amphitheater for the event. A distinguished panel of judges including The Great Burke Kenny, former world champion in the full beard styled moustache category, and CC Barber, Miss Oregon 2009, will determine the winners.
Although there are some incredible beards and mustaches coming to town, there are a couple of locals that might be able to toss a hat in the ring.
1) Steve – If you have ever ordered a cup of coffee from Thump, just across from the Oxford Hotel, you know Steve. His wild style and unassuming disposition makes him a top pick for the Freestyle competition.
2) Jace – Wrenching at Webcyclery or running up the trails at Smith Rock, these chops make Jace unmistakable. Top pick in the Best Partial Beard competition.
3) Jay – Boot maker, mountain bike guide, student; Jay still has time to keep a immaculately styled mustache. Color, design, and signature “lighting bolts” make Jay a strong candidate in the Best Mustache category.
Registration for the 2010 National Beard and Mustache Competition is still open, so sign up today at http://www.bendticket.com. There are no annoying qualifying events, drug tests, or dues.