DateJul, 15 2010
Let the Games Begin! Summer Season at Mt. Bachelor
Flying across an icy pond wearing nothing but a tutu and your snow skis marks the end of winter at Mt. Bachelor. But Pond Skimming doesn’t mean the end of fun on this mountain, which rises 9,065 feet among the majestic Cascades. Oh no, there is plenty of fun still to be had. Here are my top five things to do on Mt. Bachelor in the summer:
1. Sightsee: Take the express chairlift to the Pine Marten Lodge and hike the many trails woven across the mountainside, offering stunning views, vast lava fields and rugged splendor. Or trek to an air-gasping panoramic view of the Cascades, from Mt. Shasta in California to Mt. Adams in Washington. Three times a day, a Forest Service Ranger is on hand to give a 30-minute interpretive talk on volcanoes, geology, ecology, and cultural history of the region.
2. Disc Golf: Drive, chip and putt your way across the mountain. A fun course challenges you to throw a Frisbee-like object into strategically placed baskets for 18 holes of scoring.
3. Sled Dog Rides: Yes, you can take a dry-land spin with Rachel Scdoris and her Iditarod sled dogs in the summer! The sled dog camp is located directly in front of West Village Lodge. After your ride, you can stay and help Rachael with care and feeding of the dogs.
4. Sunday Wine Tastings: Sample wine with a view in the Sunset Lounge at Pine Marten Lodge. Each Sunday, from 4:30 – 5:30 p.m., a representative from a world-class vineyard presents a complimentary sample of three or more wines they have selected.
5. Sunset Dinners: Step out onto the deck while the sun still lingers over the scenic Cascade Range. Savor gourmet cuisine as the summer colors begin to melt over the wilderness landscape. Complete your night with a moonlight chairlift ride down the slopes of Mt Bachelor.
Note: Be sure to wear layers and sturdy shoes, and take along a warm jacket, sweatshirt or windbreaker. Season passes are honored.
Planning a trip to Bend? Check out our award-winning visitor guide online, or request one to be mailed to you.Read the Guide
Give Us A Call
Want to talk to a real human? We get you. Our visitor information specialists are here to take your call Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. and weekends, 10:00 a.m - 4:00 p.m.Call : 877.245.8484
Stay In Touch
Want to keep up with all of the latest and greatest happening in Bend? Sign up to receive our email newsletter. We promise not to spam you, and we'll respect the heck out of your privacy.
Join thousands of other Bend visitors and take the Pledge to leave Bend better than you found it. Bonus - you can sign up to win a vacation to Bend, too.Take The Pledge